Tuesday 20 March 2018

Sharing outside your domain

Many EDU domains only allow sharing of Google Files within their domains.  This is great for privacy but can be a problem if you are trying to share with parent communities and other such stakeholders.

Loophole Alert!

Turns out there is a loophole - The "Publish to Web" feature in GSuite Apps. At first I thought it still would not share if the sharing permissions were not set to public, but after giving it a try...seems I can access with my gmail as could some  colleagues from their gmail account.

In all GSuite apps you have the ability to Publish to the Web in the File Menu.  Here is how to do it:

Go to File --> Publish to Web


Click Publish


Click OK


Share the link created in the Link box. 



To Stop Publishing, click the Published Content & Setting drop down, then click the Stop Publishing button

Please use this feature responsibly.  Think before you post student information and images online and be sure you seek proper permissions - even if it is with a select group of safe people...remember they can share the link you give.

Note:  So I have the ability to share outside the domain.  I tried this and gave the permission for only those inside my domain to view.  I looked on my gmail account and it was fine.  Another colleague of mine, who does not have the ability to share beyond the domain, tried and it didn't work for her...so it may not work for all....sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment